Address

Sister Kylie Dawn Hansen

Colorado Denver South Mission
999 East Tufts Ave.
Cherry Hills Village, CO 80113

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 2 in CO - Jan 12, 2015

Oh boy! Life is officially insane!

This week has been super crazy but also super awesome! We found a ton of new people to teach! Since the two of us are the only missionaries in this valley we have all of the Spanish and English people and everyone in between. One of my favorite people we found this week are a young couple who were just married a little over a year ago. They are local small town high school sweethearts and they are adorable. They remind me of a couple in Idaho just minus the Gospel. I am so excited to continue teaching them! Perks of being a greenie: I got to give a talk on Sunday, everyone asks me to say all of the prayers, and because of amazing teachers in Seminary, the lessons are easier and Scripture Mastery saves my life. If only these were the only consequences...

 President Brigham Young once said something to the effect of, " A testimony is grown stronger by the bearing of it than on the knees asking for it." I have seen this so many times this week as we try to take the invitation Christ extended to all of us, "Come, Follow Me," into the world. I have felt the power of Joseph Smith's words describing what he saw. I am so grateful for amazing MTC teachers who urged us to memorize those verses because when you know the words, the power of that surreal experience is manifest in my heart and in the hearts of all who will heed this great message. Elder Bednar came to our mission this week....And because we are over the mountains we didn't get to go but I am glad I got to hear him on Thanksgiving...made it somewhat bearable. I have discovered that authentic Mexican food is probably the best creation in existence! I have never had so many tamales in my life! But it is a price I am more than willing to pay...they are so good! And pico de gallo....aw man...I have discovered that food is a Sister's new man..and I am in love. There will never be another satisfactory substitute..for the next 16 months anyways. They feed us so well and now I know that cutting down our allotted driving miles was a revelation! A common saying in this mission is "Go big or go home. But don't go home big." Now I see why.... Earlier this week my companion and I reenacted a holy war...I will attach a picture and it will make sense...it was fun!

 This week I have gained a stronger testimony of how God gives us the things we go through so that we can relate to other people and how they feel. I was on exchanges in Glenwood and had an experience with someone there that made my heart ache but I knew that it would be okay in the end. I have felt the heartache that she felt in this situation and shared how I came to know that no one really knows how we feel entirely but the Savior of us all. And because Elder Holland fixes everything, one of his quotes from "None Were With Him" helped her in that moment. Moral of the story = memorize Elder Holland quotes. The quote is, "Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are...Truly the Redeemer of us all said: “I will not leave you comfortless: [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].”

 I know that He lives and that He has restored His church on this earth and it is our job to help everyone return to His fold. What an amazing opportunity is that ?!?! And we can learn how to do it through the words of the prophets in the Bible, Book of Mormon and from the mouths of latter-day prophets of God. One of the apostles that came to the MTC told us that President Monson receives revelation for us each and every week and those revelations come to us through General Conference and the monthly Church magazines...I should probably start reading those.... May our God continue to bless you all and watch over you is my constant prayer,"

 With a lot of love,
 Hermana Kylie D. Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment